Wednesday, November 7, 2012

I Finally Figured Out How To Make My Own Website!

Making a website is easier now than it has ever been. I remember back in the 90's setting up a website meant you either had to know HTML or you would use a program like Microsoft's Front Page. Most sites back then had static HTML pages that didn't have much going on. One thing I remember is there was a plethora of GIF moving images along with Java that made a picture of a lake look real. Sites that looked good usually belonged to big companies like IBM and GE and probably cost them tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of dollars to develop.

These days setting up a great looking, functional website is easily under a hundred bucks and can be completed in less than a couple hours. There are many free resources out there to help you get started. Many website hosting plans are as low as six bucks a month. Tack on a free WordPress installation and a free or inexpensive theme and you are on your way. It is really easier than most people think and once you get the hang of it, you could be churning out sites for friends and family or create a business making niche sites.

I only learned of WordPress myself about six months ago. And since then, I have made two of my own websites. The sites look great and each has a completely different functionality. One site is a blog site with all the recent posts showing up on the front page along with two other pages for resources. I threw in some AdSense and an opt-in function for my mailing list and it's complete. To maintain it, all I do is come back periodically and throw up a new post. The other site I have is a one page site with some videos showing people how to create their own great looking website with little to no experience.

To get started, first you'll need to sign up for a hosting account. You should be able to find a good annual plan for 8 bucks per month. Hosts I've used in the past are BlueHost, GoDaddy, and 1 and 1.

The next thing you'll want to do is install WordPress. If you use BlueHost, they have a 1-click WordPress installation. GoDaddy also has a WordPress installation, and I'm not sure if 1 and 1 does or not. I had to manually install WordPress on my 1 and 1 account. You may want to check it out for yourself if that's the host you're interested in.

Once WordPress is installed, you can pretty much start posting articles to your new website. If you want to make it look nice, there is a ton of customization that can be done on your WordPress site. The first customization I recommend is installing a theme. There are many free themes that will do just fine for a beginner. From there, just play around with the settings and tweak the site to your liking. It's your site, make it how you like it!

For more information or to see step-by-step videos how I made my own website, visit http://www.makemyown-website.com/.

0 Responses to “I Finally Figured Out How To Make My Own Website!”

Post a Comment